They think it’s all over, it is now!
#number25: make it to 26 As of roughly 3.04am this morning I hit the grand old age of 26- here is a poem to celebrate http://allpoetry.com/On-Being-Twenty-six And here are some interesting facts about the number 26 (because every day is a school day): In mathematics:
- 26 is the only integer that is one greater than a square () and one less than a cube ().
- A rhombicuboctahedron has twenty-six faces.
- There are 26 sporadic groups.
- Twenty-six is a repdigit in base three (222) and in base twelve (22).
- In base ten, 26 is the smallest number that is not a palindrome to have a square (26^2=676) which is a palindrome.
- 26 is the atomic number of iron
- There are 26 spacetime dimensions in bosonic string theory.
- Messier object M26 is a magnitude 9.5 open cluster in the constellation Scutum
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 26 is a spiral galaxy in the constellation Pegasus
- 26 is the gematric number, being the sum of the Hebrew characters (Hebrew: יהוה) being the name of the god of Israel – YHWH ( Yahweh )
- The Greek Strongs number G26 is “Agape” which means “Love“
- The expression, “For His mercy endures forever” is found verbatim in English and the original Hebrew 26 times, in Psalm 136. The expression is found once in each of the 26 verses.
- According to Jewish chronology, God gave the Torah in the 26th generation since Creation
- The number 26 jersey has been retired by the major league baseball team, the Chicago Cubs, in honor of past playing great Billy Williams
- It is the number of miles in a marathon rounded down (26 miles and 385 yards).
- 26 is the “joke throw” in darts, where a player throws 20, 5 and 1 when aiming for 20 (or treble 20). In professional darts, throwing 26 usually results in sneers or laughter from the audience. In the level of darts I play it is met with applause (3 darts are in the board including one in the 20).
In other fields:
- In Microsoft Windows Alt+26 yields the “right arrow” symbol →
- There are 26 letters in the English alphabet.
- 26 is the title of a 2003 novel by Leo McKay, Jr..
- It is the name of an Australian Alternative Rock band, 26
- There are 26 of cases in Deal or No Deal.
- 26 is the age at which males can no longer be drafted in the United States
- In a normal deck of cards, there are 26 red cards (and 26 black cards).
- The number of Cantons of Switzerland.
- The number of bones in the normal human Foot and Ankle.
- Including this one, I have given you 26 interesting facts about the number 26
#number23: You must go to Bounce for an evening I’m currently in Bounce – and here’s a picture to prove it!
That’s All Folks! ..SPRAGUEY.. p.s. I’ll be continuing this blog, in one form or another, at some point in the future. …I may develop something interesting from my (made-up) life-changing experience in West Africa that I began in the last post… …I may talk about the time I got lost on my (not made-up) hike across Mordor… ..I may even introduce you to some of my favourite science/maths concepts, Brian Cox style… Watch this space!